Unofficial Tilbury FC fans forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Match report away v Grays Athletic via Mr Anthony Mercer Mercer.

Go down

Match report away v Grays Athletic via Mr Anthony Mercer Mercer. Empty Match report away v Grays Athletic via Mr Anthony Mercer Mercer.

Post  Dock end John Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:02 pm

Grays Athletic 3 Tilbury 2 (Att 258)

Two own goals, a penalty and a red card was the story of this local derby with Grays getting back to winning ways leaving the Dockers in the relegation zone. A debut goal for Aron Gordon and a goal on his home debut for the returning Kieran Bishop contributed to Blues win but they had to work hard in the closing stages when the Dockers mounted a late rally. At 2-0 Blues looked in control but the introduction of Lewis Smith was the catalyst for a Dockers fight back.

A bright start from Blues brought an early reward in the 8th minute when a long throw from the right came off the head of Lewis Jaggs to put the ball past keeper Rhys Madden. The goal led to period of Blues pressure, Dennis Oli prominent at this stage with some deft touches bringing Gordon and Bishop into the game .

Despite the pressure Dockers had an opportunity to restore parity when Michael Toner was caught in possession and Tom Anderson stole the ball and seeing former Dockers keeper Clarke Bogard off his line lifted the ball over the keeper and crossbar.

Early in the second half Rhys Madden was called into action when Bishop fired at goal. The Blues striker wasn't to be denied though, in the 57th minute a searching ball found Bishop, who controlled and slid the ball past the advancing Madden. Tilbury got themselves back in the game 5 minutes later when substitute Lewis Smith, who altered the flow of the match when he stole the ball and flashed a cross into the box, Ryan Mahal got a touch turning the ball past Bogard. The goal stunned the Blues and galvanised Tilbury, who raised the tempo, moving the ball at pace with Smith involved more and more. Smith came close, testing Bogard from distance forcing the keeper into a dive to turn the ball behind.

Blues under pressure still looked dangerous on the break, Bishop once again racing clear of the visitors back line set up a great opportunity for Gordon who somehow managed to miss the target from six yards.

On 73 Tilbury were reduced to 10 men when Siju Odelusi struck an opponent, giving the referee no option to send him off. 2 minutes later Grays were fortunate not to be down to 10 men when a stray elbow left Tom Anderson on the deck and to the surprise of most supporters, the referee took no action. Smith was again in the thick of the action when he hit across goal, but Grays then attacked with Gordon weaving his way into the box and hitting past Madden. Tilbury never gave up and with 87 on the clock Lewis Smith raced into the box he went down under a challenge and stepped up to roll the ball past Bogard from the spot. It was a hectic finale and Kris Newby had a late chance, but mishit at the vital time.

Tilbury remain 18th and are back in action on Saturday, when they welcome Bury Town to Chadfields.

Tilbury: Madden, Boswell, Hewitt, Norman, Salami, Jaggs, Newby, Anderson, Cook (Odelusi 51), Gilbey and Paxman (Smith 60)

Subs unused Carlile, Ugradar and Gelashvili
Dock end John
Dock end John

Posts : 1811
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 67
Location : tilbury

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum