Match report home v Canvey Island via Mr Anthony Mercer.

Go down

Match report home v Canvey Island via Mr Anthony Mercer.

Post  Dock end John on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:36 am

Tilbury 2 Canvey Island 6 (Att 112)

Tilbury suffered another heavy defeat, this time to local side Canvey Island, that saw the Gulls go top of the league.

Tilbury made no less than 5 changes to the line up from Saturday's defeat at Maldon and Tiptree.

The home side hit the woodwork on nine minutes when a speculative long range effort from captain Aaron Waters flew towards goal. Newcombe seemed unconcerned, but the ball ended up hitting the top of crossbar on its way.
Canvey took the lead in the 13th minute when Sam Collins scored. The Gulls captain collected the ball 20 yards from goal and unleashed a good low shot into the bottom corner, beating goalkeeper Clarke Bogard.
Canvey had chances to extend their lead as the half wore on. On 27 minutes George Sykes flicked a perfectly weighted ball over the Tilbury defence and found the run of Mitchell Gilbey who had stayed onside. The ball was sat up perfectly to be struck with his left foot, but instead Gilbey opted to cut back onto his right which allowed defenders to gain ground and force the in-form striker to shoot over.

Six minutes later an excellent run down the left from George Sykes saw him get past Siju Odelusi and drive into the box. Sykes looked up and picked out Frankie Merrifield on the far side of the area, but with the goal at his mercy the midfielder hit his first time shot wide of goal.

Tilbury equalised on 36 when a mistake from Merrifield gifted possession to forward Ryan Melaugh who set off on a determined run to the edge of the area before finding the back of the net.

The hosts weren’t on level terms for long, as two minutes later Canvey went back in front. An under hit back pass from George Pullen in the right back position towards his goalkeeper was seized upon by Mitchell Gilbey who got to the ball first and rounded the keeper, to slot calmly home.

The goals kept coming, and on 42, Tilbury drew level once again. This time the dangerous Adam Vyse set off on a similar run to the one that Melaugh had embarked on earlier in the half, although unlike his strike partner Vyse picked out the opposite bottom corner to score with a great finish.

Canvey took the lead for the third time six minutes into the second half thanks to an excellent goal. Elliott Warren played a good cross field ball from the half way line on the right wing to Teddy Nesbitt who was in an advanced position on the opposite flank. Nesbitt played the ball infield for Sykes who attempted to chip over the defence to find the run of Mitchell Gilbey who smashed an unstoppable left-footed effort across goal and into the bottom corner of the net.

The pattern of the game until this point would suggest that Tilbury would score next, and this was very nearly the case on 55 minutes as Luke Hornsley got his through the Canvey defence from the right. The winger hit a thunderous shot which thumped against the crossbar.

It was 4-2 on 59 minutes when Canvey were awarded a free kick just inside the Tilbury half. George Craddock delivered the dead ball into a good area which was headed clear, but only as far as Mitchell Gilbey on the edge of the area. Gilbey’s shot caught a deflection and set up perfectly for Elliott Warren to slam home.

The two goal advantage was kept intact thanks to an excellent save from Henry Newcombe on 64 minutes. Toby Aromolaran used his pace to get to the edge of the area, placing a powerful shot towards the bottom corner which Newcombe diverted wide, when it looked like Tilbury would score.

The points were effectively sealed on 69, when a through ball released Mitchell Gilbey in behind the Tilbury defence. Gilbey rounded goalkeeper Clarke Bogard, but in doing so, passed the ball across goal for Ryan Charles who scored with a neat low finish from the edge of the area.

Canvey hit the woodwork on 78 minutes when Ryan Charles headed the ball down for James Walker 30 yards from goal. Walker struck a dipping half volley which crashed against the bar with the keeper stranded.

Two minutes later a cross from the right by Sam Collins picked out Frankie Merrifield unmarked in the box, but he miscued his shot and failed to make contact in a good position.

The Gulls seemed to switch off in the last ten minutes, allowing the Dockers to apply plenty of pressure. Luke Hornsley had two excellent chances having cut in from the left, but on both occasions he was denied by excellent saves from Newcombe.

The last action of the match saw Canvey round off the scoring in spectacular circumstances. Sam Collins spotted Clarke Bogard off his line and decided to pull the trigger from five yards inside his own half. Bogard backpedalled frantically and got his left hand to the ball but was unable to prevent it from crossing the line.

The result leaves Tilbury in 12th spot.

Tilbury are back in action on Saturday, when the attention turns to FA Trophy action at Potters Bar Town.

Tilbury: Bogard, Pullen (Salako 69), Odelusi, Waters, Turpin, Kyungu, Aromolaran, Jaggs, Vyse (Martin 83), Melaugh, Hornsley

Subs not Used: Salami, Gulliver and D Smith
Dock end John
Dock end John

Posts : 1788
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 62
Location : tilbury

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum