Match report away v AFC Hornchurch via Mr Anthony Mercer.

Go down

Match report away v AFC Hornchurch via Mr Anthony Mercer.

Post  Dock end John on Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:09 am

AFC Hornchurch 0 Tilbury 0 (Att 191)

Tilbury left Bridge Avenue the more disappointed side in a goalless draw, after dominating for long periods against 2nd place AFC Hornchurch on Tuesday night.
Manager Gary Henty made 2 chances with Tony Martin and Emiel Aiken returning to the line up in place of Neil Richmond and Ross Elsom.

On a damp evening it was the Dockers who started brightly with the wind behind them. Inside 5 minutes Kurt Smith’s connection was hit wide after being played in by Tony Martin. On 14 it was Tony Martin turn to go close when Jack Carlile played in Martin, whose header went just over. On 20 a blistering 30 yard effort by Conor Mead saw a fine tip on to the cross bar by Sam Mott in the Hornchurch goal. Tilbury were enjoying a good period of play as they laid siege on Horchurch's penalty area but could not find the killer touch.
On 26 Emiel Aiken got passed a defender but somehow hit wide before Hornchurch's keeper was again in the action, firstly a Kurt Smith free kick was saved, before, another block seconds later. The hosts finally troubled Tilbury's well drilled defence in the 30th minute when they were awarded a free kick 20 yards out for a handball offence. George Purcell stepped up confidently to take the set piece and drilled his effort low and hard, only to see strike partner Leon McKenzie deflect it narrowly wide of Clarke Bogard's goal. Just before the break Tony Martin crossed only to see Emiel Aiken stab his effort wide.

With the half time whistle coming, it was Tilbury who should have been clear.

With the wind behind the home side after the break, they started strongly as Tilbury defended well stopping any chances on goal. On 56 they did eventually have a good chance when Purcell went close to breaking the club scoring record, but saw his effort from the edge of the area deflected wide for a corner. The Hornchurch striker continued to play on the shoulder on the defence looking for that elusive strike, but was flagged for offside on more than one occasion as Danny Smith and Joe Nightingill dealt with any attack.

Mott was called upon to perform heroics in the Hornchurch goal 17 minutes from time, producing a magnificent fingertip save to deny Tony Martin with a close range header.It was Mott who the home fans were grateful to as he continued to deny Tilbury with some fine saves.

With 77 minutes gone, Hornchurch went closest to opening the scoring after a left footed cross from Junior Luke, found Substitute David Knight who saw his header smack the crossbar.

There was late drama when Horchurch's Junior Luke who was persistently infringing the laws of the game saw his game finish a minute early as the referee lost patience and dismissed him for his second yellow card. Hornchurch held on to earn the point, leaving the good number of Tilbury supporters disappointed there was not all three on the night.

The result leaves Tilbury in 6th place, moving up one place.

After the game Manager Gary Henty commented “I am delighted with our performance, particularly in the first half where we did so well. Hornchuch is a tough place to come and to dominate for such long periods was pleasing. We need to take the same effort into Saturday's home game v Haringey Borough"

The Dockers are due back in action on Saturday when they welcome Haringey Borough, before travelling to AFC Sudbury next Tuesday.

Tilbury: Bogard, C Mead, Glozier, D Smith, Nightingill, Game, Babalola, Carlile, Aiken (Elsom 87), Martin, K Smith
Unused subs: J Cook, Webb, Pooley, Jaggs
Dock end John

Posts : 1749
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 61
Location : tilbury

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum