Match report away v Cray Wanderers via C.W.F.C site.

Go down

Match report away v Cray Wanderers via C.W.F.C site.

Post  Dock end John on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:01 am

Cray Wanderers 4
Piper 12, Teniola 41, 72, Stone 90

Tilbury 1
Richmond 43

Cray Wanderers completed the final obstacle of the Great Escape as victory over Tilbury confirmed another season of Ryman League football for the 2015-16 season. This was also Cray’s ninth successive victory but Cray were made to work hard for it by a hard working and combative Tilbury side in front of a very decent Sunday crowd.

The Wands can now go into their final game up at Dereham Town on Saturday knowing they can play without the pressure of recent weeks where any slip ups could have been costly.

Cray manager Tommy Warrilow had to make one change to the side that started against Waltham Abbey on Tuesday with Rory Hill coming in for the injured Max Fitzgerald.

Following Saturday’s results Cray’s fate was in their own hands. A win would have been enough. The game took a few minutes to get going with a little sparring going on. The only semblance of a chance in the first ten minutes came to Tilbury when Thomas Wood fired in a shot on goal from just inside the area which was comfortably gathered by Luke Colquhoun.

Cray however with their first chance of the game took the lead in the twelfth minute. Cesc Fakinos floated in a free kick some thirty yards from goal into the box Carl Rook looked to have been bundled over in the box but from the resulting loose ball Chris Piper kept up his remarkable scoring record in recent weeks with his eleventh goal for the club with a composed finish from ten yards.

The early goal was just what Cray needed to settle any nerves but any thoughts of complacency were quickly dispelled as Tilbury came back with two chances of their own to score. The first on sixteen minutes came following a corner from Ryan Flack which was nodded back by Elliott Johnson and from close range Neil Richmond’s shot was blocked by the legs of Colquhoun.

A minute later Jake Pooley set up Wood whose shot again from close in was saved by the Wands keeper but the follow up effort from Emiel Aiken was turned wide of goal.

Following these two scares Cray wrested back the initiative for the next twenty five minutes. A corner from Piper was met by Nick Humphrey but his effort was blocked for another corner. Three minutes later Nathan Simpson’s free kick into the box was cleared as far as Humphrey who shot wide of goal.

Around this time Tom Bolarinwa was started to show his pace and trickery and threatened on a couple of occasions to create openings but was thwarted by some resolute defending from Tilbury.

The Wands had a great chance to add to their lead in the 37th minute when Rory Hill played the ball through brilliantly to Warren Whitely down the left hand side. Warren showed his pace to burst into the box but as keeper Jack Giddens advanced his low shot into the right corner came back off the post and with no one to follow up the ball was cleared.

Cray were not to be denied and in the 41st minute made it 2-0 when Piper set up Teniola again down the left side and the in form striker made his way into the box and from a tight angle squeezed his shot into the bottom corner of the net possibly helped by a deflection on the way.

The Wands were well on top by this stage but The Dockers showed they could still compete and pulled a goal back two minutes before the break. Aiken played the ball into Wood whose effort bobbled into the path of Richmond who stabbed the ball home from four yards.

Cray were perhaps lucky that half time came at the right time with the Wands just rocked back a bit by the Tilbury fightback.

Half Time: 2-1

The second half saw a very controlled and disciplined performance from Cray with the home side restricting Tilbury to few if any real scoring chances.

The nearest the visitors came was when Matthew Game’s effort from outside the area went well wide of goal. For Cray Bolarinwa’s shot was blocked for a corner. From the corner Bolarinwa’s cross fell to Teniola whose effort was again blocked and cleared.

Cray had a half chance to score just after the hour when Whitely and Rook combined to set up Teniola but he hit a scuffed shot into the ground and the ball went straight through to Giddens.

Cray were looking comfortable at the back which meant the confident Helge Orome strode forward on occasions and looked very accomplished in possession of the ball.

The game went through a scrappy phase but on 74 minutes Cray went further ahead. Another fine ball forward from Hill caught out the Tilbury offside trap and Teniola strode through despite looking perhaps a yard or two offside and as Giddens advanced, Teniola confidently stroked the ball home for this seventh goal in five games.

A few minutes later Cray came close to scoring again as Bolarinwa played a super ball from right to left out to Whitely whose fine effort was tipped round the post by Giddens for a corner.

Cray continued to press with the game entering its last few minutes and both Orome and Hill saw efforts blocked.

Tilbury though continued to play and didn't at any time allow Cray to become complacent. A free kick from Jack Carlile was headed over the top by Daniel Smith.

Aiken then set up substitute Ruben Duarte with an incisive pass into the right of the area but his effort was blocked by another unsung hero of recent weeks, Nathan Simpson.

The game was heading for stoppage time when Cray put the icing on the cake with a goal from Supporters Player of the Year Adrian Stone. Played into the box by Bolarinwa, Stone played the ball away from the keeper and from the right of the area drilled a low shot into the net to complete the scoring.

With the game in its dying embers Tilbury were reduced to ten men when Richmond was sent off for a second bookable offence. By this time however the game was done and Cray were able to breathe a collective sigh of relief at the final whistle.

This has been a remarkable achievement from this set of players who have taken off after that rather scrappy win at Redbridge at March 17th to embark on a rich run of form and great individual and collective team performances.

Much credit must go to Tommy Warrilow and his coaching staff for giving the team the confidence to play even before this run when Cray were getting beaten by the odd goal here and there.

Cray can now make the long trip eastward to Dereham Town on Saturday confident in the knowledge that with a game to spare the Wands are now safe, a position which just a few weeks ago seemed highly unlikely.

Cray: Luke Colquhoun, Helge Orome, Nathan Simpson, Rory Hill (James Pass, 90), Nick Humphrey (Capt.), Cesc Fakinos, Warren Whitely, Chris Piper (Steve Springett, 74) Alex Teniola, Carl Rook (Adrian Stone, 78), Tom Bolarinwa: Subs: Orlando Smith, Frank Griffin

Booked: Teniola, Orome

Tilbury: Jack Giddens, Jake Pooley, James Cook, Elliott Johnson, Daniel Smith, Matthew Game (Capt.), Ryan Flack (Ruben Duarte), Jack Carlile, Neil Richmond, Thomas Wood (Rimmel Daniel, 79), Emiel Aiken: Subs: Bradley Webb, Ben Austin, George Ryan

Sent Off: Richmond 90+3
Booked: Cook, Flack, Wood, Richmond

Referee: Neil West
Assistants: Robert Claussen, James Masson

Att: 236
Dock end John

Posts : 1749
Join date : 2009-11-01
Age : 61
Location : tilbury

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum